Join Our Internship Team at NAMI
NAMI Metro Suburban offers internship programs to fit a wide range of interests and skills. These internships are excellent for bachelor’s or master’s students or individuals pursuing their recovery support specialist certification (CRSS). Individuals interested in exploring a career in social services, peer recovery, or mental health are encouraged to reach out! College credit is available with most local programs.
At NAMI Metro Suburban we believe in the power of shared experience. Most team members have their own lived experience with mental health, and our Recovery Support Specialists provide peer-to-peer support to our guests. Part of what makes our internship positions unique and valuable is the opportunity to share your story and make a positive impact in the lives of others experiencing difficulties with their mental health.
CRSS HUB INTERNSHIP PROGRAM
The CRSS Hub is an intradisciplinary internship program where students support the milieu of consumer-based recovery programming. Interns learn from CRSS professionals and gain hands-on experience about what it’s like to work for a mental health nonprofit.
Some of the skills you will be able to learn with NAMI:
- How to write Case Notes
- Motivational Interviewing
- Be trained in Mental Health First Aid
- How to facilitate Peer Support Groups
- Supervision with a CRSS
- Learn to Share a Recovery Story
Do you have an interest in public speaking, social work, or working with teens? As an Education Intern, you will work closely with our Education Program Manager to execute all school presentations and community offerings.
Some roles and benefits of this role:
- Assist in developing topics and scheduling presenters for NAMI Metro Suburban’s community education series, related to mental health conditions and wellness.
- Attend community presentations hosted by NAMI Metro Suburban, introduce speakers, and greet participants.
- Assist and deliver educational presentations for students, teachers, and family members at schools.
- Coordinate education courses and online course registrations, attendee confirmations, certificates, and evaluations.
- Compiles and records data from evaluations from class offerings and other community presentations
- Coordinate and assist in community health fairs.
- Facilitate groups for members of the Drop-in Center.
- Assist with outreach by writing monthly blogs for our newsletter, making outreach calls, and other tasks as requested.
- Be trained in Mental Health First Aid.
If you are interested in pursuing an education internship with NAMI Metro Suburban between the months of September and May, please send your resume and cover letter to our Education Manager by the end of July:
If your application is selected, we will schedule a meeting with the Education Department and our Executive Director, where we will discuss the kinds of opportunities we have available in the upcoming semester, and how those fit with your own educational goals.